Definition of Bespoke: “to give order for it to be made” (Bailey, Nathan (1756) Universal Etymological English Dictionary. R. Ware.)
The difference between a ready-made garment and a Made to Measure/Bespoken one is that the ready-made products are manufactured and offered to you - the consumer once they are produced. Size and details are defined by the designers and then the garments go into production. It is not possible to change / adapt / personalize them afterwards. That is what you get if you go to a shop or a boutique.
Made to measure and Bespoke items are not produced until you make the demand. There are models, trial sets and samples, but no finished products that you can buy and take with you. You will have to design the item you want together with the sales person and only then it will be realized.
It is up to you to discuss and explain to the sales person what you expect from the suit:
- Performance: Do you require a heavy wearing suit for the chill seasons? Or a finer one due to a warmer climate?
- Comfort: Smooth or light? Do you want to feel the fabric and be comfortable? A light fabric will more likely flap around, mohair will be more stable but stiffer, linen is very lightweight and will enable the fabric to breathe, you will sweat less, but it will wrinkle.
- Appearance: do you want to be noticed and keep up with the latest fashion? Or do you have your go –to style? Would you like to be discreet or use a fabric that has a special characteristic or design? There is a perfect fabric for everything. You have just to find it.
- Fitting: Choosing the fit that makes you feel most comfortable is crucial. Everyone is different, and a centimeter more or less can make the difference between loving or hating a suit.
- Posture: Not everyone has a perfect body and it is not always possible to change it. But it will be possible to make you look and feel good and also to feel comfortable.
- Options: You must choose the options that are most important for you. Maybe an extra pocket for your phone, cigar, pen or anything else that might be important to you.